Which tools do I use to stay productive and to make a living online? Here are my favorites.
(Some links on this page are affiliate links, which means that if you buy a product or service, I may be compensated. I only recommend products and services that I love, though!)
- OmniFocus is a sophisticated task manager that I first started using in 2011. Over the years, it has helped me get stuff done and stay in control of my projects. Check out my course Get Stuff Done with OmniFocus 3.
- Things 3 is the most gorgeous and well-designed task manager out there. Its thoughtful design and simplicity might be just what you need. Learn how to build a workflow around Things 3 with my video course, Organize Your Life with Things 3.
To decide whether OmniFocus or Things 3 is the better fit for you, read my OmniFocus vs. Things 3 review.
Video Recording Gear
I use the following gear to record my videos.
- Canon M50 camera: entry-level mirrorless camera. Produces footage that’s fine for my needs. Probably not for you if you want to shoot in 4K, though.
- Rode PSA1 arm: for mounting my microphone on, so the mic doesn’t have to sit on my desk.
- Shure MV7 microphone: sound like a radio broadcaster.
- Yongnuo YN300 Air: an LED light source to make sure I’m well-lit on videos even if it’s dark out.
- Backblaze: automatically and continuously backs up all of your files to the cloud. Never lose documents again.
- Bear: my note-taking and writing app of choice.
- Fantastical: a calendar app with a fantastic (😉) design.
- HEY: a new, refreshing take on email by the makers of Basecamp. Since I started using HEY, I’ve been enjoying processing my email.
- Nirvana: my task manager of choice for people who cannot use OmniFocus or Things. (The latter two are only available on Apple devices.)
- Savvycal: for scheduling meetings without the back-and-forth.
- Xmind is my favorite mindmapping tool.
Physical and mental health
- Day One: a journaling app for Apple devices. When I’m on trips, I like to journal on paper. At home, I rarely took the time to journal, until I discovered Day One. Lovely app for getting your thoughts out of your head.
- Headspace: a super friendly meditation app.
- Ten Percent: great app to get into meditation if you’re skeptical of it.
- Waking Up: learn meditation with Sam Harris. Also includes conversations (like podcast episodes) with interesting people.
To choose between the three meditation apps, watch my video review of 10% Happier, Headspace, and Waking Up.
Website, courses, and email list
- ConvertKit: The very first thing you should do if you want to make a living online is to start an email list. And you should do so with ConvertKit.
- Fathom Analytics: a privacy-focused alternative to Google Analytics. Allows me to collect useful statistics about my website visitors without collecting any personal information.
- Fizzle: Fizzle taught me how to make a living online as a creator. They were invaluable at the start of my journey.
- Screenflow is the app I use to record videos for YouTube and for my courses.
- Teachable is my course platform of choice. If you want selling online courses to be as low-maintenance possible, go with Teachable.
- Webflow: my website designer, content management system, and host—all in one! Webflow makes it a breeze to a blazing-fast website that looks exactly the way you want it to.
- Hindenburg Journalist: the app I use to edit my podcast episodes. It automagically makes myself and my guest sound great, which saves me a ton of time.
- Riverside is where I record my podcast episodes. It records audio locally, so bad Internet isn’t a problem. It also allows my guest and me to see each other, which helps with not interrupting each other.
- Transistor is where I host my podcast. It’s super easy to use, it’s fast, and it’s inexpensive.
BE MORE SECURE ONLINE
- 1Blocker: a tracker blocker for Safari. It makes it super easy to allow or restrict certain types of tracking, depending on what you’re comfortable with.
- 1Password: you should be using a password manager and 1Password is my password manager of choice.