Experiment safely with a side hustle

What if you want to experiment with doing a different kind of work, but quitting your job outright feels too risky?

If you have kids, a spouse without an income, and not much in the way of savings, then you might prefer to take a gradual approach to the experimentation.

You can make a soft switch: reduce your working hours at your current job to 80% and spend the other 20% working on a side hustle. When you start a side hustle, you get the hands-on experience that will teach you whether you like this new direction, with the safety net of a steady paycheck from your job.

If your side hustle does well and you enjoy it, that’s awesome! Reduce your job’s working hours to 60% and spend 40% of your time on your side hustle. Make it a gradual process.

Why reduce your working hours before you start a side hustle? If you start a side hustle on top of working 40 hours a week (or more), you’ll over-exert yourself. Sooner or later, you’ll experience a lot of stress, and that will give you a distorted view of what this new work direction is like.

Either way, if you want a change, get moving. Whether you move quickly or gradually is much less important than that you start moving in the first place.

Yours,

— Peter

Not happy with your work?

If you're not happy with your work, you might like my guide:

Five Steps to Finding Work That You Love

Here's what you'll learn:

  1. How to get in the right mindset
  2. Why feeling proud is key
  3. How to lean into action
  4. Why you need to save money
  5. How to make the jump
I won't spam you. You can unsubscribe any time—no hard feelings. Powered by ConvertKit

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Share
Tweet
Share
2 Shares