If you value autonomy, one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself is the freedom to spend every day as you please.
For example, two days ago, I was biking through the rain. I didn’t enjoy getting wet, but I did enjoy the experience.
Why? Because I chose to bike through the rain.
I wasn’t commuting to work, like most of the other people on the road. Instead, I wanted to be out there in that moment.
If you want this freedom too, here are several ways you can obtain it:
- Work as a freelancer and/or start your own business
- Become financially independent
- Travel through a part of the world with a low cost of living, while you work remotely, either in a remote job or in your own business
- Get a grant to do PhD research
- Start a relationship with someone who wants to provide for you 😊
Okay, I don’t recommend that last one.
But as you can see, if you want the freedom to spend your time as you wish, you can find it.
Of course there will still be things you commit yourself to, such as taking care of your loved ones or showing up to client meetings. And you’ll still have daily chores like buying groceries and doing the laundry.
But, more than ever before, you’ll be able to do things because you want to do them in the moment, rather than because you pre-committed to them.
Photo by Leonid Mamchenkov
Got you curious?
If you liked this article, you can subscribe to get my daily articles sent right to your inbox.